Proper nutrition is quite a common term. It is, however, what it refers to is what qualifies as rather uncommon knowledge. If you want to lead a healthy life then you will have to adopt a healthy lifestyle. Proper Nutrition forms a major part of a healthy lifestyle.
What Does Proper Nutrition Include?
Nutrition is often defined as the ‘science of food’, processing of food and its effects on health. That is why proper nutrition will involve anything that goes down our throat and eventually becomes part of our body. Both types of extreme eating habits i.e. eating too much and too less has an adverse effect on our health. Similarly, the number along with the quantity of meals has a direct effect on our health. Water and other liquids we intake also have a strong link with our health. Last but not the least, exercising also affects the way our body processes food.
Experts suggest that acquiring healthy body systems depend 10% on genetics, 10% on exercise and 80% upon proper nutrition.
Dieting is sometimes confused with starving, which it certainly is not. In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, our diet needs to include proper nutrition. Not only that, we also need to develop consistent eating habits. There are some universal principles that must be applied in order to provide proper nutrition to your body:
- Do not completely eliminate any food type from your diet. Rather include all types according to their required ratio as per the food pyramid. This keeps your metabolism level at its optimum.
- Include lean protein, complex carbohydrates and good fats to your diet generously while limit saturated fats, starch and sugar to a minimum.
- Consume most of your food closest to their raw or original form
- Minimize your intake of extra processed food and junk food. Especially junk food often has least or no nutritional values but is packed with calories.
- Replace juices with raw fruits and avoid all sodas. Both juices and sodas are laden with sugar and are not healthy despite whatever they say on the packaging.
- Consume vitamins, enzymes and fiber in the form of raw fruits and vegetables.
Healthy Eating Habits
Developing consistent healthy food habits is the basic solution to providing your body with proper nutrition. Here are some rules to abide by in this regard:
- Instead of eating 2-3 big meals, consume 6 smaller meals in a day. This means breakfast, lunch, dinner, 2 day snacks and 1 pre-bed snack. This will keep you feeling full and thus you’ll be able to avoid binge eating.
- Watch your portions. Eat smaller portions at a time.
- Do not skip meals. If you are going to be away for long, take your food along. Make wise choices when eating out.
- Always eat breakfast. Skipping breakfast makes your body go into starvation mode and thus store more fats. It also leads you to eat a big lunch afterwards.
- Drink lots of water every day. The aim should be to consume at least 8 – 10 glasses.
It is always recommended to be consistent in your approach towards eating healthy food with proper nutrition as well as towards maintaining healthy eating habits. This way you will not have to wait for long to start seeing the results!